The Pace Family
Evelyn and I go way back, she was the second photographer for my very own wedding back in 2016. Evelyn is also a really amazing photographer based out of the Eureka area. Being asked by a fellow photographer to photograph their family portraits feels intimidating sometimes, but it's also very humbling. This September evening was perfect, a light breeze and warm but not too warm temps. The girls had so much fun during the session, providing giggles and laughter throughout. We spent our time exploring Bakke Nature Reserve Park in Whitefish Montana.
For families with young children, choosing to go about the session with a lifestyle approach is usually a better option than asking everyone to stand together and smile for a photo. Kids like to be moving, playing games, doing an activity, really anything that makes getting photos taken, fun.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Planned Lifestyle Session
So you want to schedule a lifestyle session or have one scheduled and you're not sure how to plan for it or get the most out of your session. I am here to help ease the nerves a little bit and lend some tips to get you through! During a lifestyle session, it's more about capturing the moment through emotions, movement, and activities. I will share below how to incorporate these things and have things flow smoothly for you and your family.
1) Incorporate an activity into your session
- Riding bikes
- Building a snowman
- Having a picnic
- Pick apples at an orchard
- Read a book together
2) Create emotion amongst each other
- Snuggle together and give kisses to your little ones
- Have a tickle fight
- Sync your breathing with each other while in a pose
- Physical touch displays more emotion than you think, keep your bodies touching
3) Use movement throughout the session
- Twirl the dress
- Playing tag
- Red light-green light game
4) Lower your expectations
- Come prepared for anything to happen
- Relax, seriously... it shows when you're not relaxed
- Let things unfold naturally, I can handle whatever comes my way, let me take the reins
5) Let your kids be kids
- Don't yell at them unless their behavior is really uncalled for
- Let them run around wild, it's okay
- If your kid doesn't want to do a specific prompt, don't force it, we can move to something else
- If they insist on bringing their favorite toy, let them bring it and get a photo with it
Hopefully, these tips and tricks prepare you a little more for your session. The most successful sessions happen when the parents are truly relaxed and let the children be themselves. As a photographer, I am telling you that I can pretty much handle whatever your kid has up their sleeve.
Looking For a Lifestyle Portrait Photographer?
See more from their session below, there's some cute photos you don't want to miss out on!! If you love these types of images and you'd like to schedule your own lifestyle family session with me, fill out the contact form on my website. I often book 3-4 months in advance, so don't wait till the last minute. Creating these types of memories can be a really fun experience for the family, choosing the right photographer is an important part of scheduling the session as well. Find a photographer that you love their style, work, and overall brand.
Check out more Blogs of my work below: